Coupa optimization and process re-design
This real estate development and management company had a technology gap in its source-to-pay process and elected to implement Coupa, the market leader in the space. They took a technical installation approach, which didn’t focus on re-designing processes to capture the full functionality of Coupa’s platform.
Other concerns included:
- Upstream and downstream stakeholders not being fully engaged
- Key functional requirements were missed: leveraging native system functionality, platform governance, system maintenance, and integration into other core systems
- Under utilization of Coupa
This left value on the table to be realized from their investment in Coupa, so the integration team engaged us.
What we did
- Evaluated more than 500 open tickets to determine common causes for process issues
- Resolved all open critical issues and aged tickets
- Systematically stabilized and optimized the use of Coupa
- Helped prioritize primary integrations between Coupa and boundary systems to increase automation
- Identified primary business process risks associated with Coupa—including budget inaccuracies, workflow and approval control gaps, and system interface errors—and developed process optimizations to combat them
- Provided training and enablement of end users and suppliers
We also developed a list of comprehensive improvement recommendations to address critical issues and drive long-term value to the business. As part of that, we partnered with the integration team on an improvement plan and gained buy-in from the business on priorities and resource needs. We then supported implementation of the improvement opportunities to drive long-term value.
Through business process redesign, this organization stabilized high-risk processes, including maintaining budgets, establishing new contracts with vendors, and automating approval workflows for requisitions and invoices. They also realized a systematic reduction of more than 125 critical and medium priority open issues. Beyond that, several themes emerged by way of outcomes and impact on the business.
Reduction in known defects:
- 36 percent reduction in new daily tickets
- 92 percent reduction in open daily tickets
- 81 percent reduction in ticket cycle time
- 82 percent increase in integration success rate
Improved supplier engagement:
- Supplier forms were re-designed to meet all business, regulatory, and statutory requirements
- 974 percent increase in suppliers leveraging SIM module
Improved process efficiency:
- 16 percent improvement in first match rate
- 32.4 percent increase in PO-backed invoice rate
This is all helping reduce friction with Coupa and improve the business’s ability to conduct daily operations.